Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mother's Day Hawk Walk

As expected, I haven't had any time for paintbrushes so far this week - and its looking highly unlikely that there will be any painting for the next few days... :(  So instead, I thought I'd share my Mother's Day treat with you...a Hawk Walk with my daughter. We had a lovely time with Lon, the Falconer and Caffrey, the Harris Hawk as we wandered the lanes and fields on Sunday morning. It was a crisp, bright morning but heavy grey clouds were looming in the distance - but luckily for us, the sun shone!! Caffrey is a very experienced Hawk but has been out of action for a while, so this was his 2nd trip out on a hawk walk, in the early stages of him returning to full fitness. What a star he was! The following photos show some highlights of our walk...from my point of view as both proud Mum and excited Trainee Falconer!

Ready to 'rock & roll'..!

...and off we go!

Caffrey coming in to land on my glove...

just look at those talons!!!









Big smiles!

Caffrey took a detour into the hedge...perhaps he saw a vole???

homeward bound.

I hope these photos give you some idea of just how 'up close and personal' we can be with these stunning birds. As usual, I have bucket loads of inspiration for more paintings from this experience...it happens every time I see them! Just watch this space to see what i paint next...I'm pretty sure there will be a Harris Hawk or two...!

Mandi ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment